Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bringing a Dream Home

When I was young, I had dreamed to become a ballerina one day.My mother took me to ballet lessons at one of the best ballet academies in the country. Under the pretty pink tutus and the overflowing ribbons and bows, is the art of discipline and determination. I had both, in addition to ballet shoes in every color and chiffon wrap skirts in every shade of pinks and peaches. But as I grew older, my body didn't allow me for a professional ballet career, nor did my mind. My body was growing and the headmaster deemed me unfit to be a ballerina and at the same time, I was too ambitious to explore other business paths, so I traded in my Pointe Shoes for heels…and the dream of being a graceful ballerina slowly slipped away.






One autumn afternoon, when I visited Paris with my sister for the weekend - we walked past Repetto, the famed ballet shoe maker. The shop was as stunning as the art of ballet. In an instant, all my memories of gracing stages all over the world came rushing back to me, being a character only one can dream of being ... a white swan? black perhaps ... or a doll ...

And it was then I realized that my dream hadn't died and I couldn't help but purchase a brand new pair of Point Shoes. For now, it's decoration in my home, hanging gracefully. For if one day, I decide to dance again ... it'll be there for me.

No comments: